In this episode of the Design Break podcast, I discuss how being a Jack-of-All-Trades is a positive attribute to your creative career and not a detriment to your growth.
When it comes to finding a job or doing freelance work, having a range of different skills allows you to diversify both the work you do as well as your bank account. The more skills you know, the more things you can do, the more of an impact you can make in the creative world.
Nuggets of Wisdom:
- Having a Range of Skills Leads to You Finding Your Passion - If you’re having a hard time trying to find what you’re passionate about, you can dip your toe in many different ponds and try different skills until you find what you’re passionate about. Trying different things can’t hurt you but only benefit you in the future.
- Expanding Your Skillset is Important - If you stay with one skillset, whether its branding or product design, your climb up the creative ladder will be slow and hard. The more you push yourself and learn the better your chances for the future will be.
- You Can Always Learn Beyond Your Passion - You can always learn new skills, even if you’re not too passionate about them. When you’re a UX designer, you can always learn more about development and coding to help you better understand your development team and how what you create is brought to life. The same goes for illustration and animation.
- Diversity is Key - When you’re a freelancer, having a diverse set of services and skills, leads to more work, more clients and more money.
- Grow the Skills That Compliment Your Passions - When you’re looking to grow your personal tool box, look for ones that compliment what you’re passionate about. If you're an illustrator, then animation might be a good fit (something I’ve always tried to learn), if you’re a branding designer then illustration or web design might be key.
Follow the Design Break podcast: Instagram | Twitter | Facebook
Follow Host Rocky Roark: Website | Instagram | Twitter | Facebook
Special Thanks to the Design Break Editor: Loreanne Varon
Podcast Music by: Royalty Free Rock via Pond5
Please remember to subscribe to the Design Break Podcast where ever you listen and if you have a moment, leave a rating and review. Always remember to stay Passionate, Positive & Creative!